badge

Tuesday 19 June 2018

TAPPA Kamala Mills Mumbai | Modern Twist On Traditional Indian Food | Food Review | Restaurant Review

Tappa has been making waves in Kamala Mills (the most happening area in terms of new food destinations!) and it was with high expectations that my mom and I visited here for a review session. Guess what, they met those expectations perfectly. 





Classy spacious ambiance with the literal meaning of tappa (bounce/movement) depicted via Mumbai automobiles motifs along with interesting little caricatures of busy Mumbaikars, a stunning bar, creative lanterns, comfortable seating, very helpful staff who know the menu inside-out and extremely fast service. This is fine dine in a casual avatar.




We just asked the staff to get us couple of mocktails. My mom had a pomegranate-basil concoction, followed by a pineapple one while I had the strongest mint mojito ever possible. Neither my mom nor I are heavy drinkers, we just rely on the staff's expertise to get us something refreshing + flavorful and the staff here is real expert so I suggest, just trust them :)


A special word for the chakhanas they serve on the table = FANTASTIC! 





STARTERS

MULTI GRAIN SEV PURI, GUACAMOLE- For sev puri fanatics like me, this one is a healthier version with guacamole bringing in a wave of freshness, amazing chutneys, I couldn't stop having these,

SLOPPY JOE JACKFRUIT SLIDERS- Jackfruit is not an easy vegetable to work with. Tappa has made it delicious and party favorite by serving it atop bruschetta. Think of it as mock meat and enjoy :)

CHARGRILLED MUSHROOM & BROCCOLI, BESAN CHILA CRISPS- Besan Chila is something I have had since childhood but never had them in crispy chip form, this was good too. Huge juicy mushrooms and broccoli, it is like a salad with spicy, tangy flavors.

PANEER CIGAR ROLLS, TOMATO THOKU- Anything with Paneer is my FAVORITE and this one is no exception :D Lovely paneer rolls with accompanying leafy side. Simple but superb.





MAINS

THE THAAR PLATTER, GATTA CURRY, BAJRA MISSI & MORE- A platter with so much going on, it is overwhelming at first but somehow fits in all together. There is Gatta curry (fabulous), with Sabudana on flaky bread (my FAVORITE, on sweeter side), Curd Raita, Bajra Missi Roti (earthy, AMAZING), and not to forget DATES BROWNIE in the end (I loved it). Only Raita had more salt than needed. But I gave the chef this feedback and he was extremely understanding of the same, so I am thinking of it as a one-time-accident because everything else was PERFECT.

CHIKKAD CHOLEY KHOW SUEY- Simple Kulcha-Choley of apni Dilli gets a modern twist with accompaniments that can be added as per personal preference. A large platter with paneer pieces, tamarind chutney, pickled carrots, radish, sprouted moong and more to add to traditional kulcha-choley mix. I like the traditional way more BUT this is an innovative twist to try with a big group of friends.

PALAK CHUR CHUR (INDIAN BREAD) - Generous palak stuffing made this brilliant, a healthier alternative and wholesome to the core. 

At first glance, prices might seem higher here but honestly, come to the mains and it is extremely value for money. Both Thaar Platter and Chikkad Choley Khow Suey have enough portion to feed 3 hungry folks so cannot complain about prices here :)




DESSERT 

AVOCADO & PISTA CHEESECAKE, POMM. GRANITA- I will come back for this. Dessert that is innovative, flavorful, not too sweet, not bland, just perfectly sweet and creamy and had that distinct Indian touch yet felt modern. The granita alongside took us back to childhood (remember those golas we had!). Yes, this is a MUST-HAVE and MUST-COME-BACK-FOR-MORE dessert ♥

A memorable meal that left us wanting more, we are going to tappa our way back here soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you like my post,please share it or connect with me here, I look forward to all comments :)